Monday, August 27, 2007

Las Vegas

Gijs was here to visit. The first one to come over from Holland. He's arrived two weeks ago, stayed in my room for a week and then we went to see Las Vegas.

This guy is the best poker player I know by far. He's been playing for a couple of years and now he knows the trick. So when he invited me to join him to visit Vegas, I couldn't imagine someone better to go with.

Las Vegas is pretty cool. It's like a themepark for adults. The strip has 10s of huge 2000+ room hotels which all have a lot of slot machines, roulette tables and poker rooms.

We're going there to make the big bucks. Go there, play the tables and collect some cash. Not that it worked exactly. I must admit, when playing strickly by his rules, we seemed to be winning. But playing over the internet you can play a couple of hundreds of hands, playing in Vegas only allows for 25 hands per hour or so. And when it starts getting boring (because of the waiting on other players), that's when we started betting just for action. Especially after a couple of free beers. And that's when it starts becoming a dangerous game.



After a couple of days, we kinda decided the game was becoming too expensive and stopped playing the tables. Still going out to the nightclubs, saw a pool and a had some decent dinners. Went to see the Grand Canyon on a one day tour and finally went home again.

After I broke my toe on a suitcase lying in the room. I'll be limping for a couple of weeks. Gave me another interesting experience for going to a NY hospital though. (got to use my SSN/health insurace card for one).

Vegas is an interesting place, nice place to visit, don't know about living there. People here have been amazed by my intention of going there for more than 3 days. And now I recognize their impression. 5 days was more than enough for me. Anyone intending to go there: 3 days should easilly do the trick. But maybe for a 2 day trip to the Canyon. Definately recommend that.