Thursday, September 27, 2007

Defining the black hole

Man, there’s so much to say and so little words to describe what I really mean.

A small go at it again below. A little impression not thought trough well enough to take too literal.

The black hole, speaking with Gaulliaume.
Gaulliaume is the person I've been discussing impressions with most. I call him the "Mexican" guy since he’s lived in Mexico City for year. The recurring theme's been the black hole of people. Better known around the world as the part of the iceberg that's harder to reach.

The part that defines people, the part you don't regularly see. Or necessarily might be a better word. We've agreed that at the end of the day, we're both interested in that part the most. We like to pry. We want to know who we're dealing with when we do deal with people. Apparently (and famously) something US people are not famous for being primarily interested in.

Just that it’s a cliché doesn’t mean it's not true. Christine.
US people seem to prefer to define each other by appearance.

I've discussed the "American" stereotype with some US people. And generally they seem to feel upset when I confront them. Possibly for good reason as well. For all I am is a visitor in their country, who gives me the right to question anything they might be doing or have been doing at all? Who gives me the right to judge or criticize or reflect? Nobody. I can’t seem to help it though…

You will change. Dino the landlord.
I also had a chat with Dino the other day. Dino is the landlord I'm being the "Apartment manager" for. He seems to think I'm a great guy. This makes me feel good for sure. But having experienced US enthusiasm for a while, also I exercise some caution in taking anything directly at face value. (People just might reconsider at a whim).

Dino warned me: When I’ll be here for three years, I will think completely different. And when I manage to finally make the money I should, I’ll be trapped in NY.

Reflecting the Dutch (Ton)
Spoke to one of the people I respect most in process level management so far that week (Ton). Please respect the intentions I have here if you’re reading this from the US or UK. Do let me know if you’re affected or interested more, it’s the only way I will learn to do better next time.

Expressed my feeling that the `polder model` levels (niveleert). It seems to work. The difference between the rich and the poor, but more important, the good and the bad are averaged by talking more, by having everybody involved does actually work. It seems more efficient than what happens here. It seems to be something the Dutch should be proud of.

New York impressions to the Californian (Eric)
A friend of Brynn has stayed here for a week. He was considering moving top New York. This was interesting for the way it made me speak about my impressions of the city. The intensity of it all, the crazy ride we’re in.

About the blog contents, anonymous
Oh and by the way, I have had people tell me that though there's a lot of words in my blog, at the end of the day, there's not a lot I'm saying. A gave that a quick thought and must conclude it has something to do with part of the audience I think I have.

People in the US are extremely easy to upset. You might have been able to read my impression of that between the lines, especially if you know me a little better. Interestingly but disconceringly people seem not to be looking to find the truth in New York at all. Some people seem scared of the truth. Hmmmm. I wonder what it means.

Also, I do make an effort to be precise. To say seem and appear as much as possible. Because after 5 months, it's not possible for me to know yet. It's only a first glance. Some stuff might be expressed stronger or completely different later.

Conclusion
Here’s my first attempt to organize what I’m trying to say a little better. Reading it over doesn’t give me the feeling I’m quite there yet. It is however another impression of a part of New York life. From a different perspective again.