Thursday, August 2, 2007

Social Security Nr

As you might or might not know, I haven't been paid in the states yet. They're not going to pay me until I have a Social Security Nr (Sofi nr).

Requesting a ssn is an interesting experience. Thisone only involves two government agencies in the US, I can only imagine what it would be like if there would be more involved.

My visa is a working visa. An L1, valid for 3 years. Now with the visa, my passport and the i94 entry card in my passport (the white card), I am able to apply for a card. The process seems fairly straighforward; I fill out ta form, they check whether my entry card is registered with customs and they provide me with a nr.

This may take up to six weeks.

Or so they tell me. If my application is rejected, the letter states, they'll inform me in writing as well. Seven and a half weeks after the application I feel it's about time and I decide to go by the SSA office to make an inquiry. My last time there taught me to be there early, so I set my allarm clock so that I'll be there at 8.15. Which was fine, there were only 2 people before me in line. 1.5 hours later it is my turn.

The Customs office has made a mistake. Two letters in the form were entered in the system incorrectly. Now the people at SSA can see al this. They have a copy of my entry card, a copy of my passport, my visa and the application. I'm informed they'll need to send a letter about this to customs (a hardcopy) and need to wait for their confirmation of the correction. This might take up to three weeks.

I can only imagine this is the way it happens around the world. Bureaucracy at its finest. I wouldn't mind getting paid (its been over 10 weeks in NY), but feel I can't really do anything but wait. And be amazed about how things work in some places.

I'll chase up the progress a bit more.